I was listening to Lenny Williams sing the song "Cause You Know I Love You" the other day & when he sung one of the verses, I chuckled because I thought, young people today couldn't even relate to that.
Here is the verse:
**It seems that I call her on the phone and I, I just can't get her to answer
And then I went to her house and I saw a car parked in the driveway
I knocked on the door, but still my knocks went unanswered
And then I went home and I, I watched television until television went off **
Do you guys remember when television straight went went OFF? Like at midnight either God Bless America or America the Beautiful would play and a big American flag would wave across the screen and the next thing you knew, there was static. Television went off back in the day!
It made me think, what things did I experience as a young person would the youth of today, not know anything about?
Here are some things that came to mind:
- When things were paid for with cash or check only. And if you had a credit card it wasn't swiped. An imprint was made.
- A rotary phone
- A phone without call waiting or caller ID
- When play time meant being outside all day
- Carebears, Monchhichi's, Tom & Jerry, Popeye the Sailor man, Looney Tunes on Saturday morning
- When the majority of cable programming included sitcoms and there were no reality shows
- Life before the internet
- Researching a paper meant going to the library and searching through the encyclopedia (either World Book or Brittanica)
- When the choices for gas were regular & unleaded
- When movies were $5 at night, no stadium seating, and no 3D features
- There was no microwave. If you wanted to reheat something you either put it on a tin pan in the oven, or you heated up the whole dish. And everyone thought the microwave would give you cancer.
- Before cell phones were affordable, a 2 way pager was the way young people stayed in contact & you came up with secret codes so the recipient knew what you meant, and before those days if you didn't call someone, you wrote LETTERS and MAILED THEM!
- When you had to wait 3 days for photographs to be developed at your local drug store.
- No Walmart & Target!
- Or life before malls! Stores like JCPenney, Hudson Belk, and Thalheimer were in the downtown area and that's where people went to shop.