Saturday, June 11, 2011

What I Learned 1st Year - My Perception

It's June 10th!  One year ago today, I decided not to use relaxers anymore.  Looking back a year later, it's so interesting that it was a reluctant decision.  I went natural out of necessity not because it was something that at the time I was really excited about.  And to think, the only reason why I was so reluctant was because I was afraid.  Afraid of what my natural hair would look like.  Afraid of how I would be perceived.  I think the biggest thing that I've learned is that natural hair is absolutely beautiful.  I've learned that I am still attractive with my natural hair.  I've learned that people still see me for the carefree, fun-loving woman I've always been.  I'm still taken seriously at work.  I've learned not everyone will love my natural hair and the way I choose to style it but that's ok, they have the right to their opinion as long as they are mindful of how they express it to me (insert 1 raised eyebrow - LOL).  I was recently asked if there was anything that I missed about being relaxed and I'm still trying to think of something.  I guess if it was anything, it would be length because my hair shrinks up A LOT.  But I know that over time with good maintenance, I will be able to style my hair in ways that shows it's true length. So I'm ok with that.

Not to be spooky deep (as my pastor likes to say), but because of this decision and my growing comfort of it, I have also decided to be truer to myself in every aspect of my life.  That means that the values, priorities, and issues that are important to me I will support and stand behind regardless of what the masses may think.  As long as at the end of the day, I can be proud of myself when I look in the mirror that's all that matters to me.

So ...it's been a great year!  I realize my journey is really just beginning and I look forward to documenting it, every step of the way.

Check out the slide show below of the journey of my first year!


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Slideshow design generated with Smilebox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...