Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Think you can't? Think AGAIN!




It's funny how your words come back to haunt you.  I remember that almost a year ago, I was telling my dermatologist that I couldn't go natural.  My curl pattern was too tight, it would simply be too much work for me to maintain.

What I've learned (once again) is that as individuals, we can do anything that we CHOOSE to do.  I've found out that I can go natural, my curl pattern is not too tight and it hasn't been overwhelming for me to maintain.  How many times have we given up on ourselves before we even get started?  No evidence to the fact that you CANNOT achieve a said goal, you just decide hey, I won't even try.

I also had a reality check when I saw this article about Ida Keeling.  Who is Ida Keening you may ask?  She is a 95 year old sprinter.  No, that's not a typo, she's 95.   Ida hasn't had an easy life.  Her mother passed away when she was just a child, her husband died of a heart attack when he was just 42.  Her 2 sons, were both murdered in drug related killings in 1979 and 1981.  That was a lot of grief for her 4'6" frame to bear.  Her daughter Shelley, who happens to be a track & field coach, convinced her to start running around the age of 67 and she's been running ever since.  How's that for teaching an old dog new tricks?? She's now recorded as the fastest nonegenarian.  Her time:  60 meters in 29.86 seconds.

 Her goal is to live until she's 108.  She said that's 4 years longer than her father's mother who lived to be 104. Taking only 1 prescription drug a day, her daily motivation to herself  is, "Count your blessings, Ida.  Count your blessings."

I think we should all take that advice when we're having a bad day.  Count your blessings.  And remember, it's NEVER too late.

See the video from ABCNews below.


1 comment:

  1. Great story, very inspiring.

    Nita- I have a question, when you had your kinky weave, were you able to wear it different ways (i.e. twist outs, bantu knot outs)?

    Thanks,
    Purplgirl
    purplgirl48@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...