Thursday, March 22, 2012

Healthy Living: Do you Know What's In Your Ground Beef?



I was very disturbed when I watched this video on Ammonia-Treated Meat (ie Pink Slime)  that is used in mass produced ground beef products.  I heard that in January 2012 McDonalds announced that it would no longer use the pink slime burger products. Burger King reportedly uses these burgers too.  (I guess now it makes sense why those burgers never tasted like the ones you make at home!)



I personally rarely eat beef products but when I do, I usually get my burger from a local chain called Andy's.  Any other time that I eat hamburgers, it's during cookout season (4th of July, Labor Day, etc.).  But now, after seeing this information it causes me to question:  where else is this pink slime?  Is it possibly in the prepackaged beef patties sold in grocery stores?  We've already heard that it's being provided to our children in school.

As a result of this, I have made a personal decision to eliminate premade ground beef products from my diet.  If I desire a hamburger, then I'll go to the butcher and ask him to ground me up some angus or chuck on the spot.  A little extreme?  Maybe, but we all have to do what we think is best for our own personal health.  I recognize that with the growing population of people that industries do the best they can to fulfill the demand with their supply.  But I often wonder if the shortcuts that these industries employ are the root cause of the increasing amount of disease that we see in our generation.

I've heard that when you know better, you do better.  Well, here's to Nita doing better.

Have you heard of "pink slime" before?  Will this information you've heard today change your personal habits?  Are we making too big of a deal out of this?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...