I had the opportunity to meet celebrity stylist, Felicia Leatherwood on May 5th at her Loving Your Hair with Natural Hair workshop sponsored by Moni's Haute Boutique & Mhe Magazine.
The doors of the event opened at noon, the event was to start at 1 pm and the event was scheduled to run until 4 pm. I had a death in the family that week & was rushing back from home from the services so I arrived at the location around 1:20 pm. When I arrived, Felicia was already up talking.
Here are just a few of the topics that she covered during the workshop that I attended (I'll condense the responses below):
- How often should you shampoo your hair? Every 7 -10 days
- Be as careful about what you eat as you are about what you put on your hair. For example excess sugars can cause dry patches on your scalp and cause your strands to dry out.
- She made product recommendations for the following: dandruff, clarifying, leave in conditioners, color, etc.
- Locs/weaves/protective styles with hair added - during summer months and with swimming be sure to keep scalp dry so that mildew and odor don't occur
- Take your time with detangling
- Trimming - at least every 8 - 10 weeks
I found Felicia to be very sweet, very patient & informative with questions, and had a beautiful spirit. I also enjoyed the opportunity to network with other naturals in the room and with other vloggers. Check out some photos from the event below.
|Felicia talking to some of the attendees|
|A Style created on site by HairFro You - Shamika Douthit|
|A style created by HairFro You - Shamika Douthit|
|A beautiful updo style|
|The crowd at the event|
Do you have a natural hair stylist? Do you feel like they are necessary to have during your natural hair journey? Why or why not?